We partnered with Dixons Carphone to support their graduate on-boarding & development programme. Fresh out of university, the goal was simple. Provide their talent with a range of psychological skills & strategies to ensure their new recruits where best equipped to hit the ground running as they kick start their careers.
- Develop each individual's self-awareness of their personal behavioural preferences & mindset
- Create & deliver 5 workshops (covering each psychological skill)
- Support each individual in deploying their newly acquired knowledge & skills effectively
- Collect data to demonstrate behaviour change & ROI
Traditional graduate on-boarding programmes combine psychometrics, workshops & E-learning modules but evidence of measurable performance improvements remain to be seen. It's the elephant in the living room & everyone knows it. We wanted to take a different approach. We combined psychometrics, workshops & monthly coaching to support the graduates L&D. Our vision was to create a high support environment, not simply refer them to digital resources outside of the classroom. Each graduate was assigned a performance psychologist to support their personal development & monthly action plans where created to test their newly acquired skills.
Skills to develop
- Growth mindset
- Performing under pressure
- Emotional intelligence
- Handling difficult conversations
- Psychometric testing
- Half day event
Psychometrics where taken on day 1 followed by a half day workshop that provided the graduates with the opportunity to deep dive into their results, explore the science of mindsets & behavioural preferences.
Despite a long history of psychological ‘typing’ & its application, recent research & the rapidly changing nature of the workplace means that simply understanding psychological preferences is no longer enough.
- People change when they are under pressure
- Modern personality theory shows that people change across contexts, & with volitional effort - it’s important to recognise & understand this shift
- To thrive in the modern workplace, it’s important to be able to flex one's behavioural style & cope in a variety of ways, depending upon the mindset that is needed
Helping the graduates better understand their natural preferences, will help them broaden their self-awareness of their personality, so that they can more flexibly find solutions to thrive at work. The graphic below is an overview example of the psychometric output. Each variable has its own unique page with analysis & recommendations.
Partnering with L&D we designed & delivered five 90 minute workshops that explored each of the skills. The framework that was utilised to underpin the workshop design was:
- What the skill is
- How it impacts your performance
- Tangible strategies to action
- Written output & self-paced learning material (audio & video)
Application of skills
Post training workbooks & slide decks are a means of consolidating learning but evidence shows they are not effective in supporting behaviour change. As opposed to delivering workshops & saying goodbye, we supported the graduates with monthly coaching sessions. Each graduate was assigned a performance psychologist to tailor the skills & strategies to their individual needs, ensuring they could deploy their newly acquired knowledge effectively.
- How would you score the workshop content? 9 out of 10
- How would you score the presenter? 9.1 out of 10
- How tangible have you found the strategies & skills? 9.6 out of 10
- How would you score the coaching experience? 9.6 out of 10
If you have a potential project for us & you would be interested in hearing our proposed approach to your deliverables, then let's